I am asking myself "The Miracle Question" in order to clarify my resolutions. It is a therapeutic tool but can certainly be applicable to my everyday life. So here goes: if I were to wake up in the morning tommorrow and my life would be perfect, what would that look like to me? How would I feel?
I would be 15-20 lbs thinner. For sure. I would have my lunch for work packed ahead of time and a clean coffee mug to use (I typically have to hide one from JG in a different cupboard). I would be waking up easily versus as if was coming out of a coma. I would leave the house on time. I would have my worked bag packed and ready to go. Perhaps I would have even gotten up a few hours earlier just to have some quiet time and get a few things done (this is a fantasy remember). I would get into a car that didn't have a weeks worth of garbage and work supplies all over the floors and seats. I would have my clients actually show up for their appointments. I would come home to food in the fridge and would have enough of a desire to cook that I actually would. My home would be super organized and clean. I would have more energy. I would allow myself to do crafts at night after work. I would spend more time cuddling up with JG and Gavin. I would have a sense of calm and togetherness. I would have more of me left over to give to others because I would get the alone time I crave.
Here is the truth about me right now: I shut my alarm off multiple times every morning (which I never recall doing). I typically sleep past when I should and run around the house like a crazy person trying to get out the door on time. I often go to work with my hair soaking wet and with my undies on backwards or inside out. It takes almost an entire pot of coffee before I even feel awake. When people call me about work stuff at home in the mornings, I almost always have to call them back again later in the day because I don't remember what I said in our previous conversation. It is not unsual for me to be unable to see the floor of my vehicle. I lose a ton of stuff. By the time I get home from work I have zero energy to cook anything and my fridge is typically empty. By the time the work week is over I need to check out of the social scene and regroup. My home is not very organized anymore and neither is my work. If there was an award for being the biggest procastinator, I would totally win it. Follow through is not my strength (as Abby puts it). My husband's favorite statement to me is "Jen, you're a mess, what are you thinking?"
Geez it sucks being honest with myself. So here is my big bad.............
2011 New Years Resolutions List
1. I will fix the crap paint job in the master bedroom.
2. I will lose 15lbs.
3. I will take a trip with JG.
4. I will no longer throw garbage on the floor of my vehicle.
5. I will consistently write in this blog.
6. I will allow myself at least two nights a week for crafting.
7. I will spend more time with friends and family.
8. I will obtain my limited license.
9. I will enter a magazine writing contest.
10. I will put on a therapuetic training.
11. I will take and pass my national boards.
12. I will have date night with JG at least one night every few weeks.
13. I will re-connect with a friend from my past.
14. I will learn to Skype.
15. I will spend some time in the Soo this summer.
16. I will schedule tasks into my days.
17. I will cook at least four nights a week.
18. I will start my own business.
19. I will have items in my home that I love.
20. I will make a better effort to live in the moment.
21. I will take Gavin on at least two walks per week.
22. I will learn to make marshmallows.
23. I will do my Christmas shopping ahead of time.
24. I will send Nick a care package.
25. I will write a business plan.
26. I will schedule my alone time.
27. I will get a massage at least 6 times this year.
28. I will finish drawing Nolan his picture.
29. I will prime and paint the stinky pantry.
30. I will buy a new duvet cover.
31. I will learn to use my sewing machine.
32. I will be more organized at work.
33. I will participate in one semester of NMT Training.
34. I will read two books and take notes on them for trainings.
35. I will organize my educational articles.
36. I will go through my filing and get rid of what I don't need.
37. Anything that I own that I do not love, I will donate.
38. I will go to bed earlier.
39. I will drink more water.
40. I will paint the deck chairs.
41. I will participate in caring for the garden this summer.
That's it. Trust me when I say that even though many of my goals are not overtly measurable, I will know when I have accomplished them and I typically do not even try to lie to myself. I reserve the right to add but not subtract to this list. Since it is my blog and all:)
HOLY HELL! That list is huge! Also, I think you take your trip to see me, and also Skype with me! :-)
ReplyDelete