Sunday, January 9, 2011

Letting Go of Perfection


So the due date of our little one is January 26th.  My brother has been continuously texting me asking if she is here yet.   After receiving numerous texts from him yesterday, I also received one from my friend Keith (who recently had a baby, Kurt).   It went like this:
K: "Are you a mommy yet?"

Me: "nope, not yet."
K: "Lemme know....Kurt is looking for chicks."

I began to wonder if the influx of questioning with regard to the arrival of our baby meant she was coming sooner than I expected.  I believe she is...her birth mother texted me at around 7p.m. letting us know that she had starting having contractions.  While I ran around the house washing baby clothing, car seats, our laundry, and cleaning, JG proceeded to have a group of friends over.  No points won there. Especially considering I had a couple of toddler boys following me around the house all night on my rat race "helping" me. After everyone left, he turns to me and asks (repeatedly), "Is this really happening? Like for real?" Then within a minute of telling me how nervous he is about the delivery, he falls asleep on the couch (see photo above).  Boys never cease to amaze me.  

I too am nervous.  I would like to be able to say that I am completely prepared for this, that things are squared away at work and ready for my departure, that I have taken my x-mas decorations down, that I have read the books, and that her nursery is perfect.  But that is just not the case.  As of tommorrow, I technically work for the agency but am completely self-reliant with regard to income.  Confusing, I know, but it is a large stepping stone to going into private practice.  Kind of like a trial run.   Anyhow, the moral of this story is that as anxious as I have been to meet our little one, my preference is that she delay her arrival for another week.  Probably not going to happen but a girl can wish. 

In my mind I pictured everything being perfect for her.  Please note: I have a hard time letting go of the pictures in my mind.   But the reality is that I just want her to be healthy so I am ditching the perfect pictures of the stuff that doesn't really matter.  I have a feeling this is the first of many things I will have to let go of during the next year of my life.   But I also have a hunch that it will all be completely worth it.  

2 comments:

  1. Nobody is ever prepared! If they say they are...they are probably lying :). I have a good number of hairbows and heabands made for the little nugget! I can't wait to see her. I am gonna make a few more before I send them off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Desi:) I like to think that most people are lying when they say they were completely prepared. Kind of like how everyone pretends their lives are without flaws on facebook. Stupid facebook. That is so sweet of you to make her hair acess. You know I will make her wear them like everyday:) The contractions stopped now so I am not really sure what is going on. No hospital let alone baby yet but I will post pics of her as soon as she arrives, promise!

    ReplyDelete