Sunday, January 23, 2011

La La Land


Time.  It has become an even stranger concept in my life now that our little one has arrived. I count the hours in the night by setting goals for myself like: "at 4a.m. I can make a pot of coffee because it is technically morning" or "at 1a.m. I can watch Frasier then Will & Grace while I walk circles in the living room." I only know what day of the week it is now based on Elodie's appointment schedule.  We have four appointments for her tomorrow.  One is with the pediatrician because Elodie was not doing well at her appointment last week.  She is going through some withdrawals which has resulted in a little weight loss and some other minor issues.  She also has an appointment to have her development assessed so we can get a baseline and a few other extra support services for her (and me). All of these appointments = Elodie is going to be wicked pissed and I am going to likely be sleeping a very small amount of hours the next few days. 

I am feeling like I can do it though.  She seems to be getting a little bit better and we are learning through trial and error (along with the generous help from service providers) what to do in order to make her more comfortable.  Our families were here for the weekend so we were both able to catch a little shut eye, clean our house, and pick up the mess we have created the last week from living in our living room. JG even got to leave and watch the packer game.  Cause I am generous like that.

Gavin is not enjoying his role as the big furry brother.  He was flinging his toys at me when I was trying to sleep, head butting my body, and wrestling my arm.  I haven't seen him act like that since he was a puppy.  I tried to throw his toys around the house while Elodie slept but it clearly was not enough.  JG's assignment tomorrow will be to take him to play somewhere so he can get attention and blow off some steam.  My goal is to get to target at some point in the next few days to look for something that can allow me to hold Elodie but have my hands free. 

JG was supposed to go back to work tomorrow but now with our appointments he is going to stay home  another day to help out. I'm thrilled about it.  I think he is sad about having to leave Elodie and go back to work but he is trying to set an example for me (ha ha) so he is acting as if it is not a big deal.  He calls her "my baby" instead of Ellie or Elodie and today I overheard him telling her stories about taking her ice fishing in the winter.  So sweet.  Even if it is when he thinks I am out of ear shot. 

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I know I did:)

3 comments:

  1. Honestly its the best when family comes and give you a little break to get some sleep. I hope Elodie warms up quickly...I know she will because you are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww I love this. Jeremy is such a fluff ball of sissiness, and I love when he tries to hide it. $10 says Jeremy tries to get her to go ice fishing this time next year. :-) And poor Gavin! I wish I was there to be his furry soulmate. Sigh. I miss you guys.

    P.S.- that blanket El(odi)e is laying on is too cute, and SO IS SHE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Desi- I am trying, it is certainly a challenge and much more difficult than I ever imagined. I think about you a lot and checking your blog is one of my highlighted "escape for me" moments each day.

    Thanks Abby- Yup, Jeremy is a softy. I know, we miss you too and Gav for sure wishes you were here to entertain him when neither of us have time to. His new thing is licking Ellie's head while he walks by her. It is pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete