Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hippie Hair

source
Some of the changes I am aiming for are not tangible, others are.  For example, my hair.  Since Ellie arrived on the scene, my hair has become very problematic for me.  I do not have time to blow dry and straighten it on a daily basis.  I literally run through my morning routine these days.  None of it involves doing my hair nor is there room for it to.  Unless of course I would like to get up at 5 a.m. to do it...which I don't.  So I have just been throwing it up on top of my head in a hair tie and heading to work. 

Remember how I work with children?  Well, they are the most honest little critics on the planet.  They have no problem telling me how my hair doesn't look good.  Or how I look like I haven't slept much lately.  Some have even offered to do my hair for me during their sessions.  Sad but true. 

So I will embrace the wavy hair that God gave me.  I will let my hair be as is and have what I like to refer to as "hippie hair."  I am done with the straightener for a long while.  I am done with overdressed clothing.  None of it is really me.  Because no matter how hard I try to be that put together, I just am not.  Never have been and probably never will be.  Which is alright. 

The truth is this: I am tired of striving to be that person.  It is not natural for me.  Not even a little bit.  I am always a tad of a mess. Which I have now decided is alright.  I am a typical creative person.  I have a zillion ideas in my head at the same time and I can be all over the map.  I jump from task to task because I cannot pay attention very long.  And because I am a feeling type.  I have huge issues with commitment. What I do depends on how I feel...which is hard to predict at any given moment.

So at this moment, amen to the beginning of learning to make being me work for me.  Hippie hair included.

1 comment: