![]() |
| Source |
In my rut of all ruts, I have had a tendency to want so many things to change that I become overwhelmed by it. So I would fantasize about all the changes I was going to make but not follow through on them. I genuinely could not figure out how to. I realize that this sounds ridiculous considering my job is to help other people with their problems. But I am being honest here. Anyhow, I could feel the gap widening between the life I wanted and the life I was living. I have finally come to the realization that the gap will only continue to grow if I do not do something to stop it.
So this is my something. I am taking the time to truly think about the changes that I want to make, in all areas of my life, little by little. I am learning to break them down into tiny steps, which means I no longer feel consumed by them. What I am finding is that I just have to try...some days really hard. That I have to make sacrifices a lot. Whether it is in the form of lack of sleep (which it typically is), a dirty house, or missing out on relaxation time, I am doing it. And oddly enough, the biggest sacrifice and the hardest obstacle to overcome, has been living my days on autopilot. At least in the sense of having to tell myself repeatedly each day, only I am responsible for what I have done and what I have failed to do. No one wants to have to think about that all of the time. Right? It is so much easier just to let the day get away from us and make excuses at the end of it. Usually, they are legitimate excuses. Like "my child barely sleeps" type of excuses.
I recently read a quote by an uncited author that went like this:
"If it is important to you, then you will find a way. If is is not, then you will find an excuse."
Needles to say, it resonated with me. So Day 1 of Inspiration Week I, in summary, is about making changes by living intentionally. I will no longer be the person who makes excuses, legitimate or not. And each day, I am holding myself accountable for pursuing the change I wish for. Each and every day, with a hell of a lot of intention.

No comments:
Post a Comment