Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blood and Guts




As is typical, life has been eventful at cabin Gio.  I had surgery on Friday. The kind where they put a tube down your throat and some up your nose, then cut you open in more than one place.  Like three or four places on my stomach (not sure, I have not yet looked).  I would like to point out that keeping a person awake long enough to have them climb on to the operating table themselves feels wrong.  Particularly when all the instruments I was about to be cut open with were all lined up in a row directly across from where I was lying.  It scared me a little. I remember them giving me medicine "to relax" and I was thinking "ya right, lets see how you relax when you are looking at all of these sharp things waiting to be cut open ," and then I fell asleep.  The next thing I remember is waking up somewhere else and hurting in more places than I ever knew was possible. Being allergic to Morphine sucks. 

I will not go into the specifics of my surgery because it is not important and who cares anyway.  But I will say my guts hurt really really bad. Like can't get out of bed by myself bad.  I'm afraid to go to the potty bad.  I won't take all of the bandages off because seeing the stitches creeps me out bad.  The most bad part of all...I can't pick my baby up. And it makes me feel worse than my guts do. 

I would equate it to having my middle run over by a car.  Not that I have had this happen to me but if I were to imagine what it would feel like, I would think that this is similar.  I am a lot crabbier than usual.  In part because I hurt and in part because being inhibited is frustrating to me.  For example, I am lying in bed and someone shut the door on Gavin so he is stuck in here.  He won't stop crying and I can't let him out since I can't get out of bed by myself.  So I am repeatedly calling my mother (my parents are here to help) on her phone (she clearly did not hear me yelling) to tell her to let Gav out, but she is not answering.  I am guessing she does not know how to use her call waiting since I can hear her talking to someone else.  I was right.  She just came in here to tell me she doesn't know how to use call waiting and I told her she was fired. Joking.

I am off work for at least week, maybe more, but hopefully less.  My parents have to leave so JG's are coming to help since JG can't handle caring for Ellie and I plus working  and doing daily housework (his words not mine).  So not much else is going on here.  It is father's day and my dad picked out a weed whacker for JG because apparently he was cutting the weeds individually with a pair of scissors.  Sad right? I never noticed but my dad did.  So he did the shopping for me and what a great job he did! JG is soooo excited about it. I will likely be better about blogging this week since I am confined to sitting around.  Oh, and the pics above are of my dad playing the guitar for Ellie.  She loves it.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you start feeling better soon and I'm glad you have lots of help! Its probably a good thing jeremy knows he can't handle it all and spoke up so that you will have additional hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Desi. I agree, I think it is the first time Jer has admitted his limits. It was so awesome having my parents here to help. My dad even vacuumed under my couch (for the first time in a year and a half but who is keeping track anyway right). I will message you on facebook and let you know when we are coming.

    ReplyDelete